Wrinkles and Skin folds
As skin ages, it starts to lose its firmness and begins to sag due to the loss of elastin and collagen.
There are basically 2 types of wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles are lines that form only during an expression (facial muscle movement).For instance, crow's feet that appear only when laughing. Other common sites for dynamic wrinkles include forehead wrinkles, frown lines and lines under the eyes.
- Dynamic wrinkles are due to hyperactivity of the underlying facial muscles. Other common sites for dynamic wrinkles include forehead wrinkles, frown lines and lines under the eyes. This group of wrinkles are easily eradicated with tiny Botox injections. This kind of wrinkles are best treated with Botox.
- The second group of wrinkles are known as static lines and are due to aging and loss of underlying collagen. Due to the different degree of underlying support of various regions of the skin on the face, skin sagging tends to be more apparent in certain areas, forming unsightly deep skin folds such as nasolabial folds (laughter lines), marionette line, neck lines or sagging jowls.
To smoothen out the static lines and wrinkles, one or more of the following treatment options may be recommended depending on severity of the skin’s creases:
- Fillers: directly fills and plump up the folds and lines
- Ultherapy: uses ultrasound based energy to firm and lift skin
- Sublime: uses radiofrequency and infra-red energy to stimulate collagen regeneration
- Indiba or Tripollar: stimulates skin collagen regeneration and tighten skin with radiofrequency